Association

A HISTORY OF THE HUNTER RIVER DISTRICT GOLF ASSOCIATION and

THE HUNTER DISTRICT GOLF ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED, CLUBS THAT ARE OR HAVE BEEN AFFILIATED WITH THESE ASSOCIATIONS AND OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION.

COMPILED by ARTHUR WILLIAM FRAME, Hon. Secretary/ Treasurer 2003.

SOURCES of INFORMATION:

Mr Darrell Fazio, Publicity Officer, NSWGA, IN 1986
Old Minute Books.

Various Club Officials and Employees and assistance from my friends Jan and Les Williams.

1908
An Association, known as the Northern Golf Association, was formed. It comprised all Clubs between Newcastle and the Queensland Border.

1919
A new Association, known as the Newcastle and Hunter River Golf Association was formed.
The Clubs in this Association were: – Newcastle, Waratah, Branxton, Cessnock, Denman, Maitland, Merriwa, Muswellbrook, Scone and Singleton.

1925
The Hunter River Clubs withdrew from this Association and formed the Hunter River
District Association embracing Branxton, Cessnock, Denman, Maitland, Merriwa, Muswellbrook, Scone and Singleton Clubs.

1927
Dungog and Gloucester affiliated.
Denman Golf Club withdrew.

1928
Denman Golf Club affiliated.

1929
Gresford Golf Club affiliated.

1931
Kurri Kurri Golf Club affiliated.

1932
Aberdeen, Murrurundi and Raymond Terrace Clubs affiliated.
Gresford Golf Club withdrew.

1933
Raymond Terrace Golf Club withdrew.

1934
Morpeth Golf Club affiliated.

1935
Aberdeen, Denman, Merriwa, Murrurundi, Muswellbrook, and Scone Golf Clubs withdrew.

1937
Raymond Terrace Golf Club affiliated.
Upper Hunter Sub-District Golf Association affiliated, comprising the six Clubs that withdrew in 1935

1939
Stroud Golf Club affiliated.

1940
Paterson Golf Club affiliated.

1941
Raymond Terrace Golf Club withdrew.

1945
Gloucester and Paterson withdrew.

1947
Upper Hunter Sub-District Golf Association withdrew and was disbanded.
Aberdeen, Denman, Merriwa, Murrurundi, Muswellbrook, and Scone Golf Clubs affiliated.

1950
Morpeth Golf Club withdrew.

1953
Denman Golf Club withdrew.
Gloucester Golf Club affiliated.

1956
Gloucester Golf Club withdrew.

1977
Denman Golf Club affiliated.

1989
Westside Golf Club affiliated.

1994
Cypress Lakes Golf Club affiliated
8th August 1994 the Association was granted Incorporation.
The Clubs affiliated at the date of Incorporation were: –
Aberdeen, Branxton, Cessnock, Cypress Lakes, Denman, Dungog, Kurri Kurri, Maitland, Merriwa, Murrurundi, Muswellbrook, Scone, Singleton and Westside.
Cessnock name changed to “The Oaks”

1998
Paterson Golf Club affiliated (January)

2002
The Vintage Golf Club affiliated.
Maitland amalgamated with East Maitland Bowling Club.

2007
Westside was sold and their Golf Club dissolved.

2010
Hunter Valley Golf & Country Club (formerly Polkolbin CC & Portefino) affiliated as the Association’s first Club under the new category of “Resort Membership”.

The Oaks closed temporarily for reconstruction.

2012
HunterValley G & CC transferred from Resort Membership to a Full Member.
The Oaks re-opened in May, 2012 and changed its name to Stonebridge.

2013
Hunter Valley G & CC became incorporated and changed their name to Hunter Valley Golf Inc.

2016

Stonebridge reverted to their original name of Cessnock Golf Club.

The Association’s District covers Murrurundi Shire, Merriwa Shire, Scone Shire, Muswellbrook Shire,Singleton Shire, Dungog Shire, Part of Great Lakes Shire, City of Maitland and City of Cessnock.